""The focus of this government will be directed at ensuring
the provision of infrastructure, (roads, power, water, healthcare, education) and
in particular, the completion of key projects of the immediate past administration.
include the Ibom Power Plant, Science and Technology Park, Ibom Le' Meriden
& Golf Resort, the International Airport, and the Akwa Ibom University of Technology,
among others. Since then I have put in place a roadmap for actualising this
vision in order to transform our infrastructural challenges from remaining as obstacles
to becoming catalysts of poverty alleviation and sustainable development. This objective
requires a positive and dynamic partnership between the public and the private sectors
as has now become the norm across the globe."
"Akwa Ibom has the best natural location for a sea port with 13 metres depth that
can bring in large ocean lining vessels. We are inviting a lot of international
investors to come in and develop a major seaport in the state that will serve Nigeria,"
- Gov. Akpabio
- Most peaceful state in the Niger Delta
- Provision of seven heavily equipped gunboats to the police to combat crime in the
- Provision of 3 armoured personnel carriers
- Procurement and donation of 37 patrol vehicles to the police for the security of
- Provision of 31 police patrol vehicles distributed as one to each LGA.
- Formation of the joint security task force code named Aduma with 46 Hilux patrol
vehicles and equipped with modern weapons for pre-emptive operations against violent
crimes all around the State
- Training seminars/ workshop for security personnel
- Aggressive mobilization of traditional rulers in security of their domains.
The government of Chief Godswill Akpabio in a bid to arrest the damage to the potentials
for development that could be caused by violent crimes had reeled out strategies,
legislation, and boosted security, first as a deterrent measure, and further as
a combative strategy to tackle the crime situation both at the short term and long
- New world class entertainment centre
and galleria with a dome, shopping mall, new 5-star hotel, and theme park spanning
over 115,000 sq m
- Existing 5-star hotel to be upgraded to 350 rooms
- New museum to showcase our cultural heritage
In the last two years, the government of Gov. Akpabio has evolved strategies that
has raised the tourism index in the state, which include: upgrading of tourism infrastructure
and facilities to a level that meets competition in global tourism events to encourage
influx of tourists, undertaking branding of the unique tourism products in the state
and partnering with private investors to invest in the state.
One of such
partnership would soon see the construction of a tourism and film gallery in Uyo.
Right now the union amusement and leisure park has reached completion stage ...more
- Increased frequency of pioneer publication
- Pioneer now web based
- New State website
- New Outside broacast equipment
To run an accountable government, Governor
Godswill Akpabio's administration ensures
that the people are kept abreast of happenings in government so as to coordinate
their expectations with the impact such deliveries will have on them.
By massively communicating with the people government is able to call for lifestyle
changes and from time to time elevate role models among our people for the citizenry
to emulate. Further, emergence of opportunities are brought to the knowledge of
citizens as they become available ...more
- Directorate of Commerce exceeded revenue target for 2007/2008 by generating the
sum of N12,610,900.00 (Twelve million, six hundred and ten thousand naira)
- Development of a Framework for a State- owned Micro- Finance Institution/Scheme
- Development of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs)
- Exposure of the State economic potential through attendance of International Trade
Fairs at Kaduna, Lagos, Enugu and Calabar
Government envisions an achievement oriented people and a sustainable vibrant economy.
The entrepreneurial abilities of citizens are further developed through frequent
government sponsorship of trade missions.
Government encouraged the commercialisation of our rich and diverse cultural festivals
which run all year round to boost tourism as well as our flamboyant ecosystem. Government
also buys into globalisation and is developing an industrial hub in Ibaka which
will also serve as a free trade zone ...more
- Development of a 5-Star agenda industrial blueprint
- Reactivation of State-owned Ailing Industries
- Contribution to National Industrial Policy and Formulation of the State Industrial
- Provision of Industrial Support Services
Industrialisation of Akwa Ibom state is paramount on the government's agenda to
develop a new economy and make the state an investment destination.
Industrialisation is embraced as the cornerstone of government's vision for a Greater
Akwa Ibom State.
The evolution of Akwa Ibom State into a modern industrial economy is initiated with
the introduction of Ibom Integrated industrial city into the state's economy which
will integrate a seaport, an oil and gas industrial park, fabrication services ...more
- Landscaping of major roads in Uyo metropolis
- Facilitating the signing of MOU between host communities and companies operating
within the community
- Maintenance of 31km forest reserve boundaries at 31 local government areas
- Management of erosion impacted sites
- Conduct Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) on State projects
- Flood control
- Provision of Environmental Education and Public Awareness services
The government adheres strictly to the guiding principles of environmentally sound
development for environmental sustainability.
With urban planning, government evolves extensive and cohesive structures that function
as organisms in the consumption of resources, disposal of wastes, and facilitation
of productive enterprise within its bounds in such a way that the built environment's
impact on population health is not harmful ...more
- Construction of world class boxing ring
- Procurement of world class weightlifting facilities which led to the success of
Emmanuel Akpanobong and Margaret Uwa with 3 Gold Medals each at the African weightlifting
championship at South Africa.
- The Maiden edition of Chief Godswill Akpabio National Under-17 boys and girls football
competition was conducted in association with YSFON. Our state under 17 boys and
girls emerged winners of the competition out of the 12 states that participated
- The construction of Uyo township stadium is ongoing and the venue serves and the
home ground of the Akwa United Football Club
- Akwa Ibom State U-13 male and U-18 female football teams won champion trophies at
the 18th National Oba Erediawa Anniversary Gold cup at Benin City.
The administration sees the youths as veritable partners in progress who must be
nurtured to assume their rightful place in the society today and tomorrow. Therefore,
the administration adopted sports as a springboard to building socio-economic and
political partnership for tackling the challenges of ancient prejudices and mutual
His Excellency has a passion for sports and hosted and sponsored the "governor Godswill
Akpabio National Veterans Scrabble Championship 2007." This was repeated in 2008.
Poverty alleviation and containment of crime has been most successful with more
youths turning to sports ...more
- Excellent project management skills
- Inerministerial skills
- Timely execution of projects
- Speedy deployment of policy framework
- Presidential System of local government admisitration
The Governor Godswill Akpabio administration has been seen variously as an efficient,
dynamic, pragmatic, proactive, and amiable administration as a result of the numerous
services and projects deployed to meet the needs of the people. It is an administration
that places a premium on performance and coordinates the gamut of her operations
at optimal effectiveness in their delivery of tasks and targets.
The practical and down-to-earth approach of the administration ensures a laser sharp
resolution of people's needs galvanised resolutely on resource availability, appropriately
placed on the twin factors of space and time for best in class solution delivery.
The people see the result of the administration's delivery as awesome time and time
again touching lives in every dimension of need, both imagined and unimagined; touching
present needs and future needs ...more
- Boosted internally generated revenue to N2billion monthly
- Places state funds to productive asset creation usage
- Financial Strategy for a secure future
- No toxic debts
The administration of Governor Godswill Akpabio is prudent in the efficient management
of time, money, and risk in such a way that resources are galvanised in the deployment
of assets for the state in anticipation of a flood of revenues from the economic
impact of these assets towards improving the state's capital base and avoidance
of liability which ultimately generates chains of uncontrollable expenses.
Government conducts its business such that it does not run into negative financial
intermediation by earning interest from unspent funds rather than paying interest
from borrowed funds.
Even as the global economic meltdown approached the state government was mindful
of its attendant risk and was responsive in developing a financial mechanism to
shield the state from the harsh financial underpinnings that were to surface. As
it is now the state is out of the woods as far as the global financial meltdown
is concerned and is enjoying the dividends if a strong financial strategy
- LNG project
- establish and take advantage of cluster-related synergies with the Ibom Industrial
- Fertilizer company
- Amakpe Refinery
- attracting investment based on community strength in cassava and palm produce
- Most peaceful state in the Niger Delta
Government of Akwa Ibom State formulates investment policy principles and mechanisms,
and devises measures aimed at encouraging, attracting and making efficient use of
domestic and foreign investment with a view to creating conditions conducive to
sustainable economic growth.
With deployment of invaluable infrastructure such as electricity, roads, hospitals,
schools, hotels, airport, seaport in Akwa Ibom state government has positioned and
re-branded Akwa Ibom State for the organised private sector to invest. Further government
has developed international interest in Akwa Ibom's natural resources such that
foreign investors perceive a lasting interest in enterprises being developed locally.
These investments, government hopes, will generate impressive returns for investors
while boosting the productive capacity of the state.
- Promotion of judicial independence
- Ultra-modern court complex fully equipped with state-of-the-art-facilities
- Provision of enabling environment for Judges to conveniently do their work
- Vision of "Unimpeded Access to Justice"
- Family court for child related issues
Promotion of judicial independence has helped develop strong judicial discipline
in the executive government as the administration of Governor Godswill Akpabio now
enjoys major judicial inputs in the macjinery of state administration.
The ethical framework of judicial officers as an arm of government is further boosted
with the deployment of judicial infrastructure, services, training and workshops
for judicial officers.
- Promotion of 'rule of law'
- Respect for and protection of human rights
- Protection of child rights
The state government absorbs shocks to development and promotion of deterence through
a well developed justice system that operates through a set of courtrooms all over
the state for the enthronement of peace, unity, and economic stability of the state.
The state government speedily comes up with adequate legislation as key drivers
for safe jurisprudence in pursuit of justice for all and adherence to a policy of
rule of law.
The state government appreciates the imoact of labour representation as well as
the capacity of labour unions to galvanise greater productivity among the workforce.
To further ensure greater relations government has raised her labour relations to
the level of partnering labour unions for the development of the state's economy.
government has deployed resources like civil servants buses, staff training and
retraining in Nigeria and overseas, as well as more and more worker friendly
practices, policies, and projects.
- New Presidential System of local Government administration
- Security estate for local government officials
Local government administration in Akwa Ibom is geared towards empowering the grassroots
and alleviation of poverty through a robust community based development strategy.
By stimulating rural based commodity processing the government has made rural communities
attractive as an engine room for economic scalability and sustainability of the
The legislative vigilance of the second arm of Akwa Ibom government have succeeded
in delivering the demands of a sustainable democratic culture through a cultivated
approach to legislation.
By deploying adequate legislative machinery the house of assembly has contained
major challenges that threatened the graceful development of the
The house has evolved various committees to handle the requirements of a new economy,
a prosperous people, and a sustainable democracy.